02 June, 2009

les sentiments et les besoins

Feelings and needs.... that is the core philosophy behind our discipline program. The thinking is if we can get students to verbalize the feelings behind their misbehavior and the things they need to alleviate the problems, students will not act out. Yeah, so when I have a student whom I feel has made it a personal goal to ruin me daily, I am not really inclined to discuss feelings and needs. For some students, this practice is essential and works incredibly well, but for the 13-15 age group, not so much. They are far too cool for such frivolities as recognizing the feelings and needs of their peers and teachers. Like trying to resist the Borg, it is a futile pursuit. Sure, when you do it, they may play along, but will they carry this new found information with them out the door? almost never.

What else can be done? Only the one method is approved; there is no alternative practice. How does a first year teacher garner the respect needed to prevent this from happening? I have no issues with my older students. It's the young secondary crowd that are my constant adversary. What to do... I suppose I should just continue my countdown... less that 9 days remaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment